Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"Sweetness and Light" by Frank DeFord

"Sweetness and Light" by Frank DeFord is, in my opinion, is just one long complaint. It honestly sounded like Frank DeFord was simply stating his dispassion for the world series having seven games. This really didn't come off to me as an argument, as much as it was him stating different facts about different sports games and their championships. I will give Frank the fact that he did his research. This is proven when he dates back the best-of-seven format to 1984, and comparing today's economy to then in terms of purchasing tickets per game, providing more of an income. I am on his side about the MLB really having four too many games. Three would work just fine in my opinion, because by the time it comes around to the seventh game, I really have lost interest and just turn on the news the next morning to find out who won instead of staying up all night watching. I care about sports, and keep up with teams in general, but I am not on top of every statistic of every player. I really do not care that much. Although this was interesting to read by Frank DeFord, I really do not feel like it came off as a valid argument. It was just one long complaint. I would know, I complain like this every day. 

1 comment:

  1. Jen,
    How does his work come off as a complaint? Are his arguments invalid? Consider taking his points apart to effectively argue against his stance or ethos.

    ReplyDelete