"Lights and Cans" by Sandro Chia is a colorful drawing atop a canvas. I would describe it as colorful divinity. The colors are a combination of blue, green, yellow, red, and slight pink. The colors are mixed in an arrangement that are almost in a plaid design. There is a man sketched in black holding a yellow torch with his arm outstretched, making it appear as if he was headed into the colorful bliss. At his feet are a different arrangement of cans, also sketched in black. The date on this drawing is 1981, and the place is in Italy. I saw this particular drawing at the Cincinnati Art Museum.
I liked this particular piece because the design of the colors immediately grabbed my attention. As I continued to study this piece, I was intrigued by the cans near the sketched man's feet. I could not figure out why there were cans in this drawing, when it looks like the man holding the torch is about to head into the bright filled future. Was he leaving his past behind, "kicking the cans?" That is the main reason why I liked tho drawing so much, because of the mystery behind it. Due to the time this was drawn, I believe it was supposed to be symbolic of the new millennium ahead.
Nice analysis, Jen!
ReplyDelete