Monday, September 5, 2011

"Old Faithful" By David Sedaris

David Sedaris' Old Faithful is his tale of what he finds to be "true love." In his narrative, Sedaris begins by stating that he has a boil located directly on his tailbone. He describes that at the time he and his partner were currently residing in London, and the reason he did not want his boil to be treated is because a doctor's visit would be beyond expensive. Although the boil is an extreme nuisance and is quite painful, David does not complain the slightest bit. He compares himself to his partner Hugh, who complains about every paper cut and bug bite he ever got. Whilst comparing injuries, David then reminisces about his old partner, his family, and how crazy they were. He realizes that there were so many things in that relationship, and that starting a new relationship is like opening a new package- the person is new, shiny, and fun to be with!
Contemplating his new relationship, they review their similar interests, dislikes, pet peeves, and fears. It seems to be going great! Until after a while, when it seems like there is nothing to talk about. David even reads the newspaper before going out for a dinner date with Hugh. They are like the old couple silently eating their meal in a restaurant.  But over time, the two come to the realization that having a stable relationship doesn't necessarily mean that conversation ALWAYS has to be had. This is exemplified through the phone conversation when they talk about both having consumed potato chips that day. That literally was the extent of their conversation, but neither hang up. They enjoy each other's presence, not necessarily every word said aloud.
As the story draws to a close, we are taken back to the fact that David is still stuck with a boil located on his bottom, and he has not yet sought treatment. One night, Hugh unexpectedly suggests to "lance" said boil off of David. Hugh bravely takes care of the problem, telling David that the boil was more of a pain to him than it was to David. They both survive the horrendous sight and stench and return to bed. David then gives Hugh the nickname '' Sir Lance-A-Lot" even though neither of them planned on doing that more than once. Hugh takes the nickname upon, knowing that he will be there to do it again if necessary at any point in the rest of their lives; when eventually THEY will be the old monogamous couple.
This story relates to me because although I have never been in a relationship, I have experienced the closest thing to it- being able to witness my brother and sister-in-law's marriage. I lived with my brother, sister-in-law, and their dog, Jed, for a month. Each day I would arrive home from school, take Jed for his walk, and then shortly after that Tommy and Christina would arrive home at about the same time. The greeting each early evening would be "Hey." "Hi!" The two would then retire their bags and work items, and then fall into the seats of the couch cushions in exhaust. There would be silence as Jed would be flooded from attention from all three of us; until I would pipe in "So how was your day?" Tommy would always respond back first. "Uhh… okay I guess." I didn't even have to ask Christina, she was always eager to say "Well my day was awful. The only reason I keep this job is because every spring I get a raise, and when I think about quitting in the fall I get a promotion." Then we would resume our silence, I would mumble something about doing homework and leave, but the two would sit together smiling, just petting Jed and enjoying each other's presence.
In the portion of the story where David and Hugh are talking on the phone solely about coincidentally having potato chips for lunch but neither wanted to hang up, I was reminded of Tommy and Christina. It isn't even the fact that the two of them can enjoy meals together in silence, or just make minimal small talk conversation, but also that throughout the day they will gmail chat each other about things totally irrelevant, but still enjoy the conversations. The point that I am trying to get across here is that actions speak louder than words. David and Hugh can enjoy hearing each other while filling up time talking about chips. Tommy and Christina can enjoy each other's humor while filling up time talking about different bed comforters and duvets.
Love is a universal language that can be spoken by all. It appears in the media as always being perfect, with regular conversations always had, and no problems ever. That is a false statement. There will be ups and downs, and topics of conversation that you never thought possible. Each couple is their own "Sir Lance-A-Lot," and hopefully no couple will ever have to brave their own boil.

2 comments:

  1. Great comparisons, Jen! I wonder, though, how do you feel about these types of relationships?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I can recommend a site that has helped me. It's called DigitalEssay.net They helped me for writing my quality research paper on diabetes, and of course by keeping my all other needs fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete