Sunday, August 28, 2011

"Error at first base" by Mike Birbiglia

In Mike Birbiglia's comedic story entitled "Error at first base," he tells about his quest to have his first kiss- in the seventh grade. He realizes that kids in his class are in fact, making out with other kids in his class. At first he is opposed to such activity, but then gradually he realizes that he does in fact want to make out with girls. He realizes he can accomplish this through humor- he is a funny guy who can make girls laugh! He takes this girl named Lisa Bennetti out to the carnival on a Friday night. It was supposed to be just like a romantic comedy movie- they would go on a ride, he would win her a stuffed bear, and then they would have moment together that they would remember forever. The first problem to arrive is that Mike is a nervous eater, so he stuffed himself with food prior to the date. Next, they went on the ride entitled "The Scrambler," which is a ride that spins in a circular motion over and over and over again. Combining both of those activities, this made Mike really ill, resulting in him vomiting on Lisa. Needless to say, he did not have his first kiss.
When Mike made his way to a male only high school, he realized that he was one of very few, if not the only, guy there who had not had his first kiss. Therefore, in order to feel better about himself and try to fit in, he lies about his "sexual experiences." He tells his friends that he has made out with several girls, and acts as if it is not really a big deal. Later in the school year he takes this girl named Sonya to a school dance. Finally his time for his first kiss has come! They kiss, and well it is not such a great experience. To end the story, his friends consults him about that the next day at school. Mike doesn't know how to respond with anything except humor, so he responds back "I know! It's kind of my thing to be a bad kisser!" His friend then responds back to him by saying "Me too!"
I really enjoyed Mike's story because I can relate very well to this story, and I know many people who can also relate. I myself am a very awkward individual who just wants to fit in. Through high school,  I had a hard time fitting in with various groups of friends. Even though I though we had the same characteristics, it would somehow end up being that I was the odd woman out, always managing to be the on disagreeing on thoughts, actions, etc. I just so badly wanted to recognize my identity and find people who would appreciate me for that. Doesn't everybody want that same thing?
So when I got to college, it was a fresh new start for me! It was great! There was no one there to judge me about what I would do, who I would talk to, or what clubs I would join. (Well, there were a few but to be honest I didn't care what they thought.) There is no need for me to be dishonest about anything, but to just be myself! In fact, my best friend and I bonded by blurting out our secrets to each other after only having been friends for about 12 hours! Overall, I agree with Birbiglia in the fact that humor can in fact make awkward situations less awkward, and that making a girl almost pee her pants laughing is indeed sexy.

file:///Users/jennymendoza/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Masters/2011/08/15/20110815-165414/IMG_0008.JPG


1 comment:

  1. Nice work, Jennifer, but try to be more specific with regard to your own experiences: why did you feel awkward in high school? Has college indeed been a "fresh start"? Do you feel you've matured to the point that you can appreciate your identity without "trying to fit in"?

    ReplyDelete